Boston Writing Internship: Learn Editorial-Style Writing
The internship is centered around getting you to be able to write editorial- (op-ed) style pieces that put forth arguments on some aspect of a social issue.
All assignments go through an editing process where we provide you individual feedback on your writing and help you work on the skills taught that week.
The articles written by interns will be published on our site and in a magazine at the end of the program. We will also work with students to publish their final pieces at the end of the internship on news outlets as op-eds or as Letters to the Editor.
The internship will include weekly lessons and quizzes to help you learn the skills required in writing argumentative editorial-style pieces. Each lesson will include:
- Online Written Lectures where you learn one aspect of argumentative writing
- Online Quick Practice Quizzes where you answer multiple choice questions
- Online Article Assignments where you write an article each week (which we will publish on our site)
Hybrid Model: Online and In-Person
Once every week, in addition to completing the online assignments and reading, students will have the option to come into our office located next to North Station for in-person feedback, networking, and discussion.
Students who cannot make it in-person will have the option of attending a Skype/Google Hangouts session with our instructors and other students.
During this time our editors and instructors will work one-on-one with interns. Interns will also have a chance to share their articles and ideas with other interns, encouraging the cross-pollination of ideas and arguments.
Refreshments will be served!
- Age: Teens 12- 21
- Language: English
- Location: Greater-Boston Area!
- Materials: Have a computer/tablet with access to reliable Internet, or regular library access.
- Commitment: The program is designed to be completed concurrently with summer school, employment, and/or other personal and family responsibilities. Please let us know if we can make it more accessible for your individual needs.
- Application Deadline: July 21st, 2019
- Program Cost: $25 (financial aid waivers available to cover the full cost).
- Dates: July 8th- August 30th (Longer if you start late)
- Location: Online with a recommended, but optional, in-person weekly session at North Station.
- Become a stronger writer and be better equipped to handle college writing
- Get personalized feedback on your writing
- Have all your articles published on our site and the chance to get published on others, as well as in a magazine and our newsletter
- Get a certificate of completion and letter of recommendation
- Flexible hours and limited in-office requirements allow internship to take place concurrently with other employment and summer programs
- Connect with other like-minded individuals, and
- Spread awareness about social issues